Tag: After surgery
Average Weight Loss After Gastric Sleeve Surgery
April 4, 2016
The sleeve has been considered the best weight loss option there is as compared to fad products in the marketplace. Gastric sleeve surgery tops the list of obese patients mainly because it does not require any long-term maintenance as compared to the laparoscopic band. From 2010 up to the present year, gastric sleeves have been very in-demand among obese patients who are looking for the easy route to that well-coveted hourglass figure.
Going under the knife is, more often than not, regarded as the last resort when it comes to weight loss options. Many people are confident though with gastric sleeve surgery because this is known to be at least 99% effective in trimming down excess fat – which is a good number to begin with.
Not everyone is qualified to undergo bariatric surgery. You must be physically, mentally, and emotionally prepared for the surgery or this might not work as planned. The following are specific requirements that must be strictly met to determine if you are eligible for gastric sleeve surgery:
- Extremely obese individuals are those who have a BMI greater than 35 to 40. If you belong to this category, then you prequalify to undergo gastric sleeve surgery.
- You must be at least 16 years old.
- Must have no underlying medical condition that potentially causes your being obese.
- Must be free from any gastroesophageal diseases.
The human stomach is shaped like a pouch which can hold around 2 to 3 liters of food. Gastric sleeve surgery makes use of a stapling technique or device which leaves only 10% of the stomach as 90% is removed to form a vertical sleeve which can hold only around 50 to 150ml of food contents – this means you get to eat in smaller portions and yet completely enjoy the dining experience. Although the stomach has been reduced in size, it still functions normally or in the same way as before.
The gastric sleeve surgical procedure enables you to crave for less food without affecting enjoyment for gastronomic grubs. Here are the involved methodological processes that allow you to lose weight with the sleeve procedure:
- Controls hunger. The sleeve does not just limit the stomach’s capacity but it also reduces appetite as it also affects a person’s biochemical response to food. As such, you will no longer feel hunger pangs in between meals.
- Shifts to healthy food options. Patients choose to eat healthy as the stomach triggers reduced cravings for fatty- and sugary-rich food choices that usually cause weight gain.
- Encourages you to eat in small portions. You are able to curb your cravings and prevent overeating because you feel full even with small servings. This proves to be economical too while you get to splurge on the nutritional benefits of a well-planned diet program suited for those who have undergone gastric sleeve surgery. You will have to undergo phases of feedings to allow your gut to heal completely.
What is the average weight loss after gastric sleeve surgery?
Nonsurgical weight loss options will only give you 10% satisfactory results as compared to going under the sleeve surgery wherein patients are guaranteed to lose an average of 65% to 70% of their excess body weight. It would be motivating to note that a number of patients have seen around 100% weight loss following specific lifestyle and nutrition modifications along with the sleeve surgery.
Advantages of the Sleeve:
- You get to lose weight effectively. The main purpose of going under the gastric sleeve surgery is to be able to lose the weight and keep it off – the procedure is a certified brand in itself. You will lose weight of around 65% to 70% on average as compared to other bariatric surgical procedures that could render less optimal results.
- Experience fewer complications as compared to other surgical procedures. This is considered to be the most popular bariatric surgical procedure because it poses less to null risks while going under the knife and postoperatively. You can be discharged from the hospital in a matter of 2 days.
- Requires few doctor visits. The sleeve does not require full-length monitoring because it has less potential health risks postoperatively as compared to the gastric bypass and other similar procedures. This would only require a few appointments with your physician which is usually limited to the first few months following surgery.
- This effectively manages obesity-related health problems. Some gastrointestinal illnesses related to obesity are found to improve or go into remission such as diabetes mellitus in patients.
Disadvantages of the Sleeve:
- Potential weight gain. There is very little possibility that a patient can gain weight after some time following the sleeve surgery. There are relatively very few insignificant weight gain accounts with patients who have had gastric sleeve surgery. They only get to gain a few pounds but do not revert to previous weight unlike gastric bypass patients who tend to gain their old weight and even add up some excess pounds on the weighing scale.
- Potential leak from staple line. The first two weeks after sleeve operation is crucial to recovery. If there are any leaks, it would be much visible at this point. Leaks from the staple line is considerably rare or only around 1% of all cases but it still pays to be extra attentive and careful especially during the first few weeks after the gastric sleeve surgery.
The gastric sleeve surgery is regarded to the most popular bariatric surgery in Australia and the United States because it has fewer health risks, faster recovery rate, and generates effective weight loss results.
Most people prefer the sleeve operation than other bariatric forms of surgical procedure because it is fairly predictable, poses less health risks, most effective in losing weight, and improves other obesity-related health problems.
This is a keyhole operation which means patients require less pain management, fewer visits to the doctor, and speedy recovery rate as compared to other invasive types of surgery which is definitely a cost-effective weight loss treatment that will provide immediate results.