As you add up in years, the skin loses its elasticity. You would notice sagging or loose skin especially after having undergone gastric sleeve surgery. This is albeit normal because of the weight loss experienced post-operatively. This also means that the surgery was effective and you have lost a considerable amount of weight even on a short notice. Depending on your age at the time of surgery, your skin may not be that elastic enough to respond well with the weight loss happening after going under the knife and thus result to loose skin.
Here’s what you can do to deal with sagging or loose skin after gastric sleeve surgery:
- Build more muscles by being actively involved in a regular workout or exercise program that works specifically on problem areas of the body like in the stomach, under the arms, and buttocks. Tone and tighten your muscles by engaging in resistance or weight training and weightlifting. Try squat exercises for the lower body, lunges for the upper thigh, planks for the stomach, bicep curls for the arms, and crunches for the abs.
- Be patient. As doctors would say – experiencing loose skin is normal and is even a positive indication that you are losing weight all at the right places. If you want to correct the sagging skin by surgery, you will have to wait for 12 months before you can get a surgical remedy to improve loose skin. You should allow ample time for your body to recover and stabilize. By that time, the skin could have possibly tightened up on its own and would not warrant any surgical intervention.
- Use salt scrubs. This is said to be very effective in improving skin elasticity after gastric sleeve surgery. You can use sea salt scrubs or any other variety of salt scrubs in the market. Indulge in a salt scrub at least twice every day while you are in the shower and see how it transforms your sagging skin quite effectively. Scientists believe that the use of salt scrubs improves and increases blood flow; which in turn helps tighten and make the skin firmer.
- Massage Therapy. Pamper yourself by having a deep and invigorating massage therapy which does not just tighten up the skin but also helps you relax and de-stress after long hours of work.
- In order to achieve a healthy, glowing, and firm skin, you need to drink lots of water. Avoid drinking too much caffeine or soda which can be dehydrating. You need to keep up with your required water consumption in order to achieve an elastic skin even after gastric sleeve surgery.
- Full or Partial Body Lift. Consult your doctor if you would require or need a full or partial body lift to help improve the condition of your sagging skin. Weigh your options together with your physician to determine what would work for your body needs.
- Practice Yoga. Focus on your core by doing yoga every day or at least thrice a week. Yoga helps eliminate stress and help with your flexibility which in turn improves the appearance of your loose skin.
- Fruits and Veggies. It is recommended to eat at least five servings of fresh fruits and vegetables every day to improve skin elasticity and keep you well-nourished. Fruits and veggies have high water content which keeps your skin well-hydrated in the process.
- Tummy tuck or other forms of corrective surgery can be considered if the sagging or excess skin does not improve even after six months or longer. Consult your physician for recommendations on surgical interventions that would fit your health condition.
Knowing what to expect after having gastric sleeve surgery would help you deal effectively with the upshots. The above tips would greatly benefit not just the appearance of sagging skin brought about by weight loss but also improve your overall health.